Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, July 8, 2010

MPA Reflection

MPA Commencement today... Finally !
After 2 years of hard work - numerous policy memos, assignments, group projects and discussions, I've finally graduated today.
To be very accurate, we've completed our coursework cum capstone exam in July 2009, but because we couldnt make it in time for the 2009 commencement, we had to join the Class of 2010.

I'd chanced upon MPA (Masters in Public Administration) course with the LKYSPP purely by chance back in 2007.I've always enjoyed learning and has always been really interested in public policies and social-related issues. I knew I wanted to further my studies, yet courses in Arts, Business and Social Sciences did not appeal to me. I wanted to pursue something that appeals to my interest while at the same time challenge my intellect. And there begins my 2-year long journey towards my post-graduate degree.

Looking back, I can only say its truly the grace of GOD!
Juggling part-time school work, full-time job, ministry and family is no mean feat.
Shuttling to class 3 days a week after work during rush hours, numerous projects over the weekends, the late nights rushing for assignments, studying for exams.
YET, I've truly enjoyed the process.
I've GAINED so much more and had definitely become a better person.

For one, I met my wonderful husband Adrian in the midst of the course.
(Nope he was'nt my classmate)


How we met and eventually got together warrants another loong entry.
He was a church friend who'd helped me throughout my exams and assignments.
I was very intrigued by his analytical prowess!

We argued alot over government policies.
Some amicable, others not so.
The classic one was a discussion on the personnel management of New York Transit Authority.
After 45 minutes of discussion (disagreement mostly...) over the phone:

Adrian: "So do you agree with what I've just said? If you do, take the solution and run with it. Get the memo going now, this is the way for NYTA to manage her personnel!"

Me: "Hey, this is not the military, I'm not one of your man, so don't talk to me like I'm your subordinate! What do you mean just run with what you said? I have a brain and I'm THINKING!"
And you wonder how we even got together eh?

Throughout the 2 years,
I've met wonderful friends all over the world!

With Allen (Taiwan), Ivy (Singapore), Helen (Phillipines)

With Erika (Canada)
With Prof Scott Fritzen (USA)

Viresh and Chandrasen (India)

Had alot of fun - eating, merry-making with classmates!


Visited places...
My first visit to a mosque

And so much more!

I've enjoyed every bit of the journey and I thank God for the wonderful 2 years at LKYSPP.
I really couldnt have ask for more :)

To all my MPA friends, miss you guys and let's hope for a reunion soon.. some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment