Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, November 18, 2010

SAHM


I'm really enjoying my life as a SAHM (Stay-at-home-mum)
No Joke. I thought I would have gone crazy by Week 3 but I didnt.

During our stay in Newport, Rhode Island, our neighbourhood was full of SAHMs. The playground just a few streets from our house became the de-factor meeting place for the mummies. Strollers parked in a row, children screaming together and the mummies gathered at a corner gossiping, oops I meant catching up with each other. I could NEVER imagine myself being one.


BUT, never say never.

The daily routine is mundane to the point of boring at times. My world now revolves around feeding, burping, changing soiled diapers, putting him to bed, the daily walk around the neighbourhood park. My new-found gadgets - flash cards upon flash cards, kids stories books, rattle, soft toys. Yet despite the "mundaneness", everyday is also an adventure. I discover new things about Baby C and me. I learn new tricks with him and simply enjoying the time spent together. I'm so glad that I will be able to witness my little darling grows, to be there for him at every milestone of his growing years.

But being a SAHM also means there are sacrifices we need to make together as a family. Gone are the days when the husband buys any gadget at will and I dont think twice spending on a spa massage session.We've downgraded our Residence and settled for a cheaper car. We no longer eat out so often, probably only once a week. We watched our expenses ever so carefully. We have postponed our holiday plans indefinitely and that also means no more designer bags, shoes and watches for me for quite a (long) while.

Yet, I'm contented.
(strange choice of word ya)
But I am.

I'm so grateful to my Hubby who worked so hard to bring in the bacon so that I can do what I've always wanted to do - be there for my children.

Do I miss working? Yes I do
Do I miss being financially independent? Yes I do
Do I miss the mental stimulation and the intellectual debates in school? Yes I do

But I believe there is a season for everything.
Season to Chiong for ministry; Season to study; Season to work; Season to play
It varies for different ones. I salute and admire mothers in church who juggle work,ministry and family, its really NO MEAN FEAT. But for me, this is the season in my life that I want to be there Full Time for my family and kids and be THE BEST I can be.

I read this somewhere: "The Days are Long, but The Years are Short"

I wanna hold Christian when he still wants me; I wanna learn with Christian when he still needs me; I wanna take a walk with him daily when he is still willing and comfort him when he would still run to me. There will come a time when he will stretch his wings and soar. I want to be able to look back and say once again:

I'm Contented

My darling angel, you are worth every sacrifice :)



2 comments:

  1. Hullo Esther!

    Love this post! I can totally understand your thoughts - probably just like another SAHM! haa.. We are say: "It's all worth it!" :) Jia U!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tks eve!!! we must bring our kids for meet up and gossip... i meant catch up!

    ReplyDelete